View Single Post
GoneTooLong

Member Since Dec 2014
Default Dec 18, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Hello.

I have been an internet message board poster for over 20 years now. Big fan of sports, and I have let my feelings be known about my teams over. And over. And over.

To put it as succinctly as I can, if you do not agree with my assessments, I typically take issue with you.

What I have noticed is that over time, I able to have a "take it or leave it" approach to message boards. I can go for days on end without having the need to post.

I have often wondered if I am manic, but I do not feel that I am. Never get any real high highs or low lows. Have battled depression for years, and I also get anxiety bouts from time to time.

Back to the message board issue, I have been reading up quite a bit on Internet Trolling, and I wonder if that fits my description. Typically, I have viewed my "trolling" more as pushing buttons. I don't make threats. I have never had an issue letting people know my identity. I...........just like to push buttons.

I can be found telling people that their sports comments are idiotic, because, I truly feel they are idiotic. I have read literature that talks about how trolls will try and destroy 'positive' or 'perfect' comments/situations. I don't feel I am that way.

Another example. People might take issue with swearing on message boards. So, I will respond with profanity, simply to see the reaction.

People might post that there was a death in the family, or a loved one is ill. Unless I really have an issue with that poster (where I simply will not comment), I typically offer condolences.

I have spoken with friends of mine about this, and oddly enough, they laugh at my schtick. Their diagnosis- I am immature. I act 25 years younger than I am, which, I do in many facets of my life. I work in a career that is very serious and very professional, and often, it feels as if I use these message boards to "let my hair down", so to speak.

Anyone ever run across something like this?

Thank you.
GoneTooLong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote