View Single Post
Altered Moment
Elder

Member Since Feb 2014
Default Jan 09, 2015 at 03:47 PM

There is a big difference between addiction and physical dependence. Addiction means you take more than prescribed to get high and then go out looking for more because you ran out before you could get a refill.

Physical dependence means that after having taken it for awhile and then you stop you get withdrawal symptoms. The receptors on the cells of your nervous system have gotten used to it and have to re adapt to being off of it. Doing a very very slow taper is the best way to come off. People at higher doses for years will be at higher risk I think.

I have been on .5 mg twice a day for a year. This last week I was out of town and ran out and I missed three days worth, so 6 doses. To my surprise I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms. Since I didn't have any withdrawal my plan is to cut the evening dose out and go to .5 a day and then to PNR. My brother, pharmacist, says reduce by 20% every two weeks. Most people here will say to do it much slower. Some people tell horror stories about protracted klonopin withdrawal. Seems like these are people who have been on it for twenty years or more. Other people say they went off of it quite easily. Physical dependence and withdrawal are very real dangers.

Major Depressive Disorder
Anxiety Disorder with some paranoid delusions thrown in for fun.
Recovering Alcoholic and Addict
Possibly on low end of bi polar spectrum...trying to decide.

Male, 50

Fetzima 80mg
Lamictal 100mg
Remeron 30mg for sleep
Klonopin .5mg twice a day, cutting this back
Altered Moment is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote