View Single Post
tealBumblebee
Magnate

Member Since Jul 2013
3,745 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 15, 2015 at 08:33 AM

Hi hi. I'd love if you posted a link to the article, if you have the time and don't mind.

I can only speak from my own experience. Growing up, I always felt like I was 'abused' but because I was never physically hurt and my basic needs were always provided for (clothes, food, shelter) I eventually grew up thinking that perhaps I was just a problem child and I should learn to be more grateful. This has transitioned into an "I don't need anyone or anything but myself, my car and my job" type of thinking. Ts opinion is that my parents/family unquestioningly dropped the ball pretty much from birth, whereas I believe they tried the best they knew how to at the time. I have decided to raise my children completely differently and so the pattern will not continue with me.

I was always a very verbal child and I told them how I felt whether vocally or through letters (when I was about seven I once "accidentally" left a note on my parent/caregivers pillow saying I wish I was dead). The only problem is that instead of truly hearing me and helping me, they only got angry that I was saying "mean things to hurt peoples feelings". But, I had my own room (of which I never learned to be comfortable enough to sleep in - ever), went to private school many years, made good grades and so that's all that mattered right? There couldn't have been anything less than perfect going on behind the walls of our house. I was simply a bright child with a vivid imagination who had a flare for the dramatic. This thought pattern from others outside the home didn't even change when I overdosed at twelve years old.

To answer your questions.

1) I feel this statement is fairly accurate as it applies to me, as i've been diagnosed with Dependent Personality Disorder & Schizotypal Personality Disorder.

2) My experiences are mildly listed above, but I can say that they haven't completely held me back. I have some sincere trust issues that make dating pretty much obsolete, and friends limited. But because of this I can say that I have both a clear picture of who my true friends are and what kind of life I don't wish to have (which is leading me more clearly into the type of life I do wish to have).

Again, this is only my opinion related to my own circumstances. *shrug* Hope you get some more input. Good question.

Hugs from:
IrisBloom, unaluna

Thanks for this!
Lovemykitty