View Single Post
Rapunzel
Legendary

Member Since Jun 2003
132 hugs
given
Default May 30, 2007 at 07:00 PM

You seem wise for your years. I am glad that you feel good about yourself now, and that you are willing to share what you learned.

Not that you need to feel like you are expected to advise me, but I'll tell you a little. As a child and as a teenager, when I was interested in something my parents or my little sister (echoing the parents) almost always discouraged me from trying. They told me I was too young, too experienced, didn't have enough talent, etc. I often believed them and tried half-heartedly and did fail. I failed at try-outs for the marching band my first year, probably because mom said I'd never make it. My parents didn't like marching band or anything associated with athletics. I didn't get any jobs as a teen because my parents said nobody would hire me, so I gave up before I started. There have been things that I found were not so hard when I did try. After I left home, I kept failing at things, or settling for less than I could. I worked at jobs that didn't even pay minimum raise, and they would hire new people for positions I could do, and overlook me, and I was afraid to say anything. I didn't get into graduate school even though I was a good student, and I gave up on even having a career. Several years down the road, I woke up and realized that it was important for me to finish my education and have a career. Now I have kids who are just a few years younger than you are, and I am in graduate school (not my preferred one, but I'm on the path anyway), but I still limit myself and sabotage myself and sometimes think that it's too late and I won't really have a chance. I'm working on it though. And it is really hard work.

Thanks again for sharing what worked for you. I hope you keep it up and never let anyone tell you what you can or can't do. Reach for the stars!

Rapunzel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote