View Single Post
Anonymous100290

Default Feb 12, 2015 at 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotic 2 the bone View Post
I feel this way nearly every day.

I have such a long road ahead of me. It seems so daunting.

I'm considering going to university as a mature student. I'm 31. Most people go 10 years earlier. I was off the grid for a long period of my life and have been trying for over a year to get back to where I was years earlier.

Even work wise, I'm so far behind everyone when it comes to experience.

It's hard to be around family members when they're discussing certain things, because the things they complain about are the things I long to have. They don't know how lucky they are.

I have a woman in my life whom I love very much. But even that is complicated.

I have no real advice, other than just know that you're not alone. You're not the only one who feels you are lagging behind.

Well, most is not all. Lots of people either go back to school or go for the first time at a later age. There are advantages to going later in life (as opposed to going fresh out of high school at 17): you probably have a better sense of what you want to do and therefore you might commit more to the work rather than seeing university as one big party. You might appreciate it more given your struggles and how hard you've had to work to get there. I think you'd also take it more seriously. Not that all people who go right out of high school don't take it seriously, but yea. Also, 31 is NOT old! I know it feels like you have missed out on a lot in life, but I think we need to break down the 'life starts to go downhill after 30' fear. I don't know where that comes from, but so many people have 30 as their measuring stick for whether or not their ***** is in order or not. If you compare yourself to the circumstances you have faced as opposed to the generalization, it might help you be more gentle with yourself. One of the biggest and most important things I think we should stop doing is comparing ourselves to others. Not easy to do, but sometimes those measuring sticks are biased and then they just turn into a weapon to beat yourself up with. I think it's great that you're going for it. There is plenty of time to gain experience. You are ahead of those who opt out of life. It is hard work, but you are already gaining that experience and taking a hard look at what you want to be part of your life. Good for you!!!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Neurotic 2 the bone

Thanks for this!
Neurotic 2 the bone