View Single Post
brainhi
Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2009
110 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 16, 2015 at 02:34 PM

I can say that I have not read every post... but I want to add something.

I have alway been fighting anxiety/depression as long as I can remember. Both my parents were sick. My mom was a very severe manic-depressive - snapping would not have worked for her - believe me.

Several years ago my symptoms were really bad. I had no health insurance so we were trying to find the right meds that I could afford. I was proactive in taking care of mental health....but I was so depressed that I could barely move. Finally we found a medication that worked....that got me up and out of the bed. It did not solve my problems but I had the "brain chemistry" to work on them. I also got support and learned about what my brain is/was doing.

Yes, the brain can change - retrain - snapping is a way to help change it....but there are times when medication is needed. I may never go off medication but I am ok with that. I continue to take good care of my mental health and continue to work on changing the brain toward better pathways (neuroplasticity!). I also work with others to help them retrain their brain as well.

Be careful not to shame someone that may need medication. Many told me..just do this or just do that..take a walk your natural endorphins will kick in..and so on..well it did not work and I felt like a falure because of it.

That being said..medication alone is not the answer - but it may save someone's life so they can get their butt out of bed and figure out solutions - maybe some snappin.

“Psychotherapy works by going deep into the brain and its neurons and changing their structure by turning on the right genes. The talking cure works by "talking to neurons," and that an effective psychotherapist or psychoanalyst is a "microsurgeon of the mind" who helps patients make needed alterations in neuronal networks.” Norman Doidge

Hugs from:
vital

Thanks for this!
vital