View Single Post
ErinBear
Grand Member

Member Since May 2003
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 02, 2007 at 08:30 PM

Hi Lawstheory,

I'm guessing that, if you've stayed with the same T for ten years, there must be some plusses in that working relationship. So, hopefully you can talk with this person, and work out this difficulty, as the others have suggested. I, too, think it's important to tell your T that you want/need something different than the same response you seem to be getting at the moment right now, a reminder to consider what you might say to others as you listen in peer counseling.

I have found myself in similar situations. I am on disability, too, and have done a lot of volunteer work over the years (still do) - wanting to give to the community, and also make positive use of my time. I also think I have a "caretaker" bent in my character, and I have come to realize that I have to be careful about that. If I do too much work where I am caring for others, I overextend myself emotionally and spiritually, and there isn't enough left to take good care of myself. I have to be careful about the number of relationships and volunteer activities I choose to do which involve an intense amount of caring. I also have come to realize that I have to build in some relationships and experiences where I'm receiving some caring and nurturing myself, or at least exchanging it back and forth somehow, with friends, or in fellowship groups, or in some other way. Sometimes one needs to nudge one's friends to do some listening, if they're not asking you how you're doing. And if your friends aren't the sort of friends who are able to reciprocate, and share back and forth, you may want to seek out additional friends who can provide that for you. Those people do exist in the world. The listening and support that Ts can provide is really important, but good friendships can be helpful as well.

Thinking of you - and I hope things start looking up one way or another.

Take care,
ErinBear