View Single Post
EJ711
Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2005
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 07, 2007 at 11:03 AM

Hi Pat,

Part of the broken dreams is the rest of the story.

My former Fortune 500 or 1000 employer blatantly eliminated the positions of its older employees. 1600 employees banned together and filed an age discrimination class action suit.

I had been told by my main contact on the case that I would receive $225,000 as my share of the settlement. Well the Friday of the week I broke my ankle, I received a call from one of the attorneys, and I was informed I would be receiving only $25,000.

So "the loss" of $200,000 on top of the broken ankle, crystalized my dissatisfaction with my husband.

Now, to answer your question. Our goal in moving here, was to be able to survive financially. We were able to buy our property for cash. I thought there was more accessibility to a fairly decent size city from here, but while a crow could fly there fairly quickly, there are no roads from here.

This relocation was occurring after losing my 17-yr. career, and at a time we were reaching a point where we could no longer manage our severely emotionally
disturbed daughter in our home.

Anyway husband did just up and retire without consulting about two years ago. I was finally able to persuade him to return to work going on two months ago.

I have been married 34 years to him. The way things are going we may be ending around anniversary number 35.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

EJ
EJ711 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote