HD7970GHZ
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Sep 2013
2,626 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 14, 2015 at 02:19 PM

Hey guys and gals,

I was recently diagnosed with AvPD on top of my Borderline and was hoping to ask you all some questions. I know very little about Avoidant Personality Disorder and I want to know more.

I would say that I struggle with the inability to trust just about anyone - including my parents and not until recently - my therapist... (long story)

Do you guys an gals relate to this? Is trust at the core of Avoidant PD?

In the past I would open up to my Mom and she would go and tell my family members what I said and then I would get hurt. This happened for years and still happens to this day. It hurts so much. I've been looking for a mother figure for years and my own mother can't even keep the trust. She says, "don't tell me anything if you can't trust me," but she continues to share intimate things... It's very discouraging and I know I have become wary of all people as a result.

Personally - I think my family has taught me how not to trust others. In very rare cases this has shown benefit - because I am so sensitive to signs of lack of trust in others - but I have literally been alone and afraid of others for years. I've avoided friends and family for years. It is truly debilitating. And I know there are trustworthy people out there.

Any suggestions on how I can go about pursuing change in these areas? Please let me know. I am newly diagnosed with AvPD and I want to tackle this stuff - share your wisdom - please!!

Thanks,
HD

"don't put all your eggs - in one basket"
"promote pleasure - prevent pain"
"with change - comes loss"
HD7970GHZ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous37868, AzulOscuro, Fuzzybear, kaliope