Grand Magnate

Member Since May 2013
882 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 09, 2015 at 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyherdier View Post
I am seeing a psychologist but it doesn't seem to be helping and I'm starting to take some of my distrust out on them. We just don't seem to be getting anywhere. I don't know what 'progress' is supposed to look like. I don't think it's the psychologist as I've been with another before and I had the same feelings.
I've been seeing my counsellor for close to two years now... and I still don't have too much trust in him. Do I trust him more than I used to? Yes. I can logically list off all the things that he's done where I suppose I tested him a bit - he's handled everything I've ever pushed myself to share in the moment really well. Yet I still always have that distrust that he's going to get mad, or bail on me, etc.

I can act upon the "I know I should be able to trust him" thought, and have been getting better at going to him with things.

I don't really see any progress (funny as I think I just stated above stuff that counts as progress) - but he thinks I've made a lot of progress. I don't see it, and I dismiss it or inform him how he's wrong if he tells me anything. Which is rude of me and I am sure one of these days he will get fed up with it.

He and I decided that it's a big enough accomplishment for me to go in and talk to him - he knows that I still don't really trust him, and he's aware of just how easily he could lose all of my trust. The fact that he knows that terrifies me. But the way I see it.... I'm making his job harder and wasting his time if I'm not being honest, so I do my best to be honest with him.

So, I think the feelings of distrust and feeling like you aren't making any progress are totally fine and normal.

"I have a problem with low self-esteem. Which is really ridiculous when you consider how amazing I am.

A Red Panda is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote