Poohbah

Member Since Jun 2014
471 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 14, 2015 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
I think it probably says more about how the client views the world if they think men are more direct than women and that thinking like a man is preferable or vice versa. I find women easier to deal with than men in almost all ways and I find men often to have an attitude about women I don't like. I admit I am more sensitive to condescension when dealing with men. I don't think of the ones I see as masculine or male-like in any way but they are not fake with sympathy in any way that I have seen (actually none of 4 I saw more than once in my various attempts at therapy have been gushy and they have all been women). The second one in particular seems to be reasonably direct. The first one was just never clear or useful when she talked - she may have been being direct - I could not understand what she was saying enough to make that judgment. I would not want any gender to be directive at me.
I think a client should choose whichever type they feel they can work with, but I also think that the decisions come more from inside of us than the actual gender of the therapist. I also think that there is a lot of internalized misogyny and that women are very often judged a lot more harshly than men are.
And my father liked me more than my mother did - so I don't attribute my preference to relating back to my parents particularly.

The bolded part: absolutely. That's why I cringe whenever I read that some people prefer male therapists because they're supposedly more straight forward, and that female therapists are too "emotional".
Of course, people should feel comfortable with their therapist but those gender stereotypes don't happen in a vacuum.
Myrto is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
clairelisbeth, eeyorestail, KayDubs