Poohbah

Member Since Dec 2011
11 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 19, 2015 at 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches100 View Post
How common is it for a person who has co-conscious DID to be capable of appearing high-functioning and successful at hiding their disorder from everybody except close family members who may notice switching and severe forgetfulness?

Could a person have DID and still hold down a full-time job, and their coworkers not know they have DID because their work is solitary and they don't socialize much?
Yes. I had a job for 22 years, was promoted twice. My job included a lot of interaction with the public and with my co workers. It was stressful and full of deadlines. I made good money. Nobody new or suspected anything. No one every said anything and to this day my family don't know either. It depends on how your system is set up. We are set up to function as a whole. We don't always agree but we don't jeopardize ourselves by acting out. We did have compulsive issues, forgetfulness, anger issues etc. We just almost never expressed this while at work. About three years before I retired we started having difficulty in public. There were times when someone would pop out unexpectedly. If they were noticed we would make a joke and come up with an excuse. But by the time I retired I think the level of control and functioning we had was unraveling. We had never dealt with our trauma and didn't know we were DID until about five years ago. So yes, depending how your system is set up you can work with others and be successful.
Claritytoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous327501, Anonymous37904

Thanks for this!
Ellahmae, GeminiNZ, possum220, TheFuZZieONE