View Single Post
Rose76
Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,441 hugs
given
Default Jul 08, 2015 at 05:47 AM

So it kinda sounds like you would only get Medicaid, if something fairly catastrophic happened to you. They did give me partial Medicaid to cover the cost of getting contraceptives, which is pointless, since I'm past menopause. (For some reason, they don't bother filtering out older women.) Reading more about Medicaid, I see that the dental and vision tends to be only for children in a lot of states. (My state does cover adults, so wish I could have gotten it.)

There is also a federal program called "Extra Help," which covers a lot of the co-pays for prescription drugs. In my case, the government notified me that I was eligible for it. I'ld be surprised if you weren't eligible for it too. Here's a link:

Save on drug costs | Medicare.gov. (It looks to me like you would definitely qualify for "Extra Help.")

Here's another thing to remember: If your only income is SSDI or SSI, that income cannot be garnished. If all you have is that income and not much in the way of assets, then you are what is called "judgement proof." That is to say: you have nothing anyone can sue you for. Keep that in mind if you ever rack up hospital bills. Whatever their website might say, they are going to write off your bill because there is nothing else they can do. If you ever have to call an ambulance, the same thing applies. They really don't have a way to collect anything from you, if you simply say, "Sorry, but I can't afford to pay." Just remember not to call an ambulance merely for transportation, if a taxi is really all you need.

I'll bet that woman who is paying $5 per month doesn't even have to pay that. The main reason they want that five bucks a month is to prevent the statute of limitations from running out on collecting the debt. That way, if she wins big in the Lottery, they can come after the winnings to pay the debt.

If you are depriving yourself of dental care in order to be able to pay for your Medigap policy, that is probably not the wisest use of your money. Look into the Humana Advantage plans for your area. You might have to switch some doctors, but I would do that to save $4000 per year.
Rose76 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote