View Single Post

Default Jul 09, 2007 at 08:36 PM

when one person says that another person is talking 'complete rubbish' i think that there are indeed grounds for saying that the person who says that is being uncharitable. 'but then you know how i like to push buttons'... i was trying to get you to rethink your dismissal of what the poster had to say. but then that is the buzz word on pc for me really - isn't it? say 'arguing' and 'debating' at me often enough and you might even manage to get me blocked from certain forums

:-O

you said that we know better than to give lobotomies now...
that may be so but it is still up for grabs whether we will eventually get into a similar position where we know better than to give anti-psychotics.

anti-psychotics were initially praised for their lobotomy like effects.

they were used extensively in order to sedate inpatients
now they are used extensively in order to sedate outpatient
it is an empirical matter but evidence seems to be that they cause neurodegeneration. seems that their sedative effects are precisely their mechanism of action and they affect animals, people with schizophrenia, and people who aren't mentally ill similarly. they function to sedate the person. less likely to report delusions and hallucinations and less likely to become absorbed by intense feelings and such if we can just sedate the hell out of the person... forever if necessary.

there are psychiatrists who see psychiatry (and medication) in the above respect. i'm not talking random weirdos. i'm talking qualified psychiatrists with years of training and experience.

of course a lot of consumers don't want to hear it... but it is important to support those who are taking it seriously...
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote