View Single Post
Anonymous200280

Default Jul 20, 2015 at 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPDisme2661 View Post
Hello everyone, I want to reach out through cyber space first of all and let you know you have been heard. If I could i'd hug you and tell you you will be alright. I also would like to encourage you to not be so hard on yourself. I have a wonderful therapist who never brought up this topic with me nor diagnosed me with having DPD and this is what I want to share with you--after I posted on here that I had discovered I probably had this I had a session with him. I told him all about my self-discovery and self-diagnosis and asked him if he thought I indeed had it and why had he never mentioned it before???? He said basically that he doesn't proscribe to the typical "labeling" mentality of the mental health profession; that it does people more harm than good to label themselves as having a diagnosed mental illness. He said it is better to focus specifically on things about ourselves we want to change and not worry about labels.

Now before you think he's a kook, I was suicidal when I started seeing him 16 months ago. I had found out my husband had cheated on me with several other women and I was at the lowest point in my life. He did suggest anti-depressants and I went off them after a year and I'm doing quite well, even with this new discovery about myself and DPD. For me, it wasn't depressing discovering this but more of an, "aha!! So THAT explains a lot!!!"

For example, I also have undiagnosed adult ADD. He has not diagnosed me, but I know I have it. Instead of worrying about the label, he works with me specifically on things to help myself be less distracted. Like turning off my phone when I'm working, or getting ready as I am a chronically late person. I am working on minimizing distractions and making concrete goals and steps so I accomplish things.

I'm 52 and I guess I've been through so much, I now look at everything I learn about myself as a gift, not a curse. So what if I'm ADD and have DPD?? I think it just makes me more interesting LOL But seriously, I have had a LOT of therapy and still go every other week so I am a work in progress. I highly recommend psychotherapy and maybe anti-depressants because to get better you need to have hope. I was so angry I had to go on meds (he DID diagnose me with PTSD) but I got better. Be open to anything that helps.

Hugs to you all.
Thankyou for sharing.

I HATE this reasoning. I want to know exactly what is wrong so I can attack it. I have not been diagnosed (and it seems they wont do it) but there is one specific trait that I have been having a hell of a lot of trouble with over the years and its just clicked today that it was a trait and not what I thought. Had I known it was a trait I would probably not spent so many days physically hurting myself because I just thought I was too lazy and stupid to be able to make decisions. I am so so mad with my care takers now. They could have stopped a hell of a lot of pain and suffering had they just told me what this problem was.

Hugs from:
avlady