Thread: Family History?
View Single Post
Nammu
Crone

Member Since May 2010
Location: Some where between my inner mind and the solar system.
54.3k hugs
given
Default Jul 28, 2015 at 06:27 PM

In 1906 a father, brother or son could commit a woman for almost any reason. If a woman became pregnant even though rape she could be labeled insane. A woman talking back to her male "superior " could be seen as insane for not be able to accept her position in life, ie being uppity. If I remember right the lower classes usually didn't get put away unless they were clearly removed from reality. But a lot of it was subjective and depended on where you lived. It's rely hard to know.

I suspect there was MI in the family but people didn't talk about it or get help. I have an aunt who is now labeled bipolar but when growing up no one talked about it except in whispers. Her behavior was ignored. I've lots of cousins who are also BP, my daughter and some of my cousins children are BP and there's a few uncles and aunts with alcohol problems that might have been self medication.

Nammu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote