View Single Post
BeyondtheRainbow
Wise Elder

Member Since Apr 2015
9,440 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 28, 2015 at 07:45 PM

My mom is sure her mother had bipolar, very similar to mine although she also used drugs which I don't. My father is nearly certainly undiagnosed bipolar and probably a few other diagnoses in the personality disorder realm. I have a brother with Asperger's. My sister has been treated for depression as has my brother and mother and father and paternal grandmother. My paternal grandfather would have some diagnosis now as would his father; both were cruel, horrible men (sociopathic?). I think my paternal great-grandfather had depression and paternal great-grandmother also had bizarre behaviors and general cruelness. Reading my grandmother's account of how she was abused in the 6 years she was in her mother's care made me cry a few years ago. That abuse led her to marry an abuser and the pattern has continued to this generation where I think nearly everyone has avoided it. I have one cousin with significant psych issues he calls "OCD" and which I suspect are more like NPD and another cousin who may share the bipolar but hasn't been treated so hasn't been diagnosed. So the one side of the family is full of problems and the other has bipolar too so I think it would be surprising if nobody was bipolar of my siblings and I. At least that sort of makes me feel better somehow.