View Single Post
Anonymous50005

Default Aug 02, 2015 at 01:48 PM

I am a teacher, so I have to be on technology constantly. Our district contracts with Apple, so I have a Macbook Pro and iPad paid for by the district (Yeah!). All of our students have iPads and/or access to MacBook Airs, so I have to stay up on the technology and apps and I have found really successful ways to incorporate technology into the learning of my classroom.

As far as phones go, I'm really low-tech. I have no desire or need for a smartphone since I have good access to other devices for internet. With 4 people in the family, we are all about saving money, so we all have simple phones that make calls and text, and our monthly cellphone bill is only $30.

I use FB all the time. Not a big Twitter fan; I have an account but hardly ever use it even to read other people's tweets; I don't think I've ever posted one myself and have no desire to. Useless as far as I'm concerned.

The problem with too much technology is that people are forgetting how to communicate. I see people at a restaurant and no one is talking to each other; everyone is on their device. I see it in my classroom when students have trouble with discussions or working on something simply using their brain. They want the technology to do it for them and it has affected their ability to attend to other personally and to their work critically. So we work a great deal on technology etiquette and leave those devices out of reach unless they are specifically needed for an assignment.

It important to find a balance in one's life with technology. Limit your use of it and remember there are actual relationships and activities that don't rely on it.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote