View Single Post
mugenishere

Member Since Jan 2014
3 hugs
given
Default Sep 13, 2015 at 12:22 PM

I [31M] was seeing a therapist [3X F] for 3 years. I'm suffering from social phobia and social anxiety and had been seeing her on a weekly basis. I improved a hell lot with her help! Started facing lots of situations that were fearful for me. She used to listen to me and help me change my opinions.

Her most amazing technique was asking questions. She would ask a lot of questions and it would bring out my assumptions. Then she would ask more questions that would lead me to an answer, or make me think more logically about my fears.

However, in the last few months she changed. She wasn't asking me these questions anymore. She wouldn't explore my topic more deeply. And I felt that where once she used to reassure me with "that is quite courageous", or "that must have been emotionally draining for you. That would explain why you don't feel like XYZ".

I tried bringing this up to her but she said that "the questions are only needed when the client is new" and on another attempt she said that she "still does ask questions". I felt like I wasn't making progress over the next few months so I asked her about seeing a different therapist because I felt I wasn't moving forward anymore. I stopped seeing her about 3 months back
So can someone please explain:

1) Was she sick/tired of dealing with me?

2) Any ideas what was going on? Why did she stopped asking me those incredible questions?
mugenishere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote