View Single Post
Anonymous37813

Default Sep 25, 2015 at 07:57 AM

For the most part, I have made my peace with having Avoidant Personality Disorder. But what really grinds my gears, is when relatives (or loved ones for some of you) just don't get it!

I'm talking about those who just cannot accept a NO for an answer. They just keep asking and pushing for things that I don't want to do.

"Want to go out to eat at this nice place? Come on, the food is really good. You shouldn't lock yourself in all the time! Are you sure you don't want to go?"

I'm full aware they are just trying to help. What's fun for them must be fun for everyone, right? Wrong!
It isn't helpful in any way, and it only make me avoid them even more. It makes me want to lash out at them, yelling "leave me the f*** alone!"
But unlike them, I'm more considerable about hurting their feelings.

My fear of social interactions won't suddenly change over night. Not unless I'm high on anti anxiety drugs like alcohol.

I guess my question is: How did you guys train your close ones to finally accept your condition?

It probably didn't help that they are the ones who wanted me to get therapy, thinking it's something that can be easily fixed by a professional.
Maybe if they spent more time trying to understand me instead of thinking I'm different and need to be changed would have been better.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous200280, kaliope