View Single Post
Anonymous37868

Confused Sep 29, 2015 at 07:02 PM

I think I just upset my mom.

I call her once a week and feel that should be sufficient. She is retired. Last week I went down and visited her in addition to calling her. She is retired now. She has been texting me everyday. It drives me nuts. Because I know if I respond to her every time she will want more and more and more.

I work 10hrs a day. Around lots of people.... ugh. And my two days off are separated. So I really need complete alone time. Phone calls and even texting I count as an intrusion of my privacy. Also, because she was over protective when I was a kid it feels like she is prodding or trying to control me. Logically I know she is just bored or concerned and caring for me; but I feel provoked, and I start to get really angry.

I've decided to live.... meaning quit smoking, using my depression/anxiety and shyness as an excuse to be irresponsible ( I do it-not saying others do- but I started to notice I use my MI as a crutch not to try to live better, do better) and to fix what I can that is wrong with me. So I'm trying to take better care of myself which is using up more of my energy and causing me to be irritable and overwhelmed.

She is very similar to me, but I think she thinks that she is exempt from my introversion- since she is my mom. If I don't respond she sends more texts... 'are you ok' , 'did you get a new phone'. So after unsuccessfully hinting and ignoring her I basically told her I need to be left alone. We are not a confrontational family; very passive-aggressive. I tried to be assertive but not mean. I think I hurt her feelings. I feel guilty because her and my dad took care of my dog for years..... really took care of him waking up at night to let him outside taking him to the vet. And they are there for me when I need them.

Now I'm regretting it. Was this mean? Am I being selfish?
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote