Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2009
260 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 03, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredporcupine View Post
As a T-in-training, it's quite normal to make a treatment plan without sharing that document with the client. It's really more for the T to have some direction with their interventions. Then you have to be flexible because goals change over time and what you planned might not work for the client. I do think that T's should verbally negotiate with clients about the goals of therapy and make sure the way they are doing therapy makes sense to the client.

I would share a treatment plan with a client if they asked, or if I was unsure about the direction of treatment and wanted to discuss it. Otherwise I probably wouldn't because it's something that would detract from the flow of a session and I'd wind up having to explain jargon and what certain interventions mean, something the client probably doesn't care about.
From my experience a formal treatment plan has to be shared with a client. Even if special circumstances don't permit this, someone - a parent, guardian or spouse for example, would have input. To me this is just informed consent - a client has the right to know what interventions you plan to use and why you plan to use them. I also doubt there's anything written in a plan that a client or family members wouldn't understand. And I think it should be left up to the client to let you now that they aren't interested in this info. It's always better to avoid making assumptions.
Lauliza is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
atisketatasket, eeyorestail, ruh roh