Grand Magnate

Member Since Nov 2009
260 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 04, 2015 at 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredporcupine View Post
I would never want a client to feel like they don't understand what is happening. But if a client says something and I paraphrase back to them what they just said, they will probably understand that I'm trying to listen and let them know I'm listening. They don't necessarily need to know that what I did is called an empathic reflection which was first described by humanistic therapists such are Carl Rogers who believed in communicating empathy as one of the three foundational conditions of effective therapy. If you're going to use an intervention that wouldn't make intuitive sense to the client then I do think you'd better explain it. I myself have been dropped into accelerated psychodynamic attachment-based work as a first-time client with no explanation, and it's something I would never want to do to someone else.
Discussing interventions with a client is not about minute details but rather finding out what your clients goals are and how they can be achieved. So if a client is self harming, you might suggest focusing on that and asking if they are interested in doing some DBT for emotion regulation. Or suggesting CBT techniques to someone with social phobia. I think you see most formally written treatment plans in hospitals or other programs since they are short term and solution focused. But even in private therapy many Ts and clients work collaboratively and frequently go over goals and progress (or lackthereof).
Lauliza is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
atisketatasket