View Single Post
Chris22

Member Since Oct 2015
15 hugs
given
Default Oct 07, 2015 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_thorne View Post
Hi Fuzzy. I don't think Effexor is considered a "last resort" med. I took it for about 5-6 years and now I take Cymbalta, which is in the same drug class (SNRI).

What I don't like about the SNRI class of antidepressants is that they cause physical dependence and are very difficult to taper off of if you want to stop them and you have to be very careful not to let your prescription run out. (I think it usually takes a few months before this dependence occurs.)

On the other hand, they often help people who don't get help from SSRIs.

If you have tried all the SSRIs, Wellbutrin, & Remeron and haven't been helped by those, then taking Effexor is very reasonable.

Pristiq is another SNRI medication. It's basically the newer, "cleaner" version of Effexor, but it's not available in a generic yet, so it's not as widely used.

I haven't looked at the side effects list for Cymbalta lately. I don't think I take any meds that don't have terrifying possible side effects.

The one that I take for my autoimmune arthritis says that it "may cause your heart to stop".

I'm not sure if that means skip a few beats or what exactly. That side effect got added to the list after I had been taking the med for a couple of years.
Need to chime a little bell there to my shrink who I consider top class, for not telling me about pristiq and putting me on effexor instead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterknob1234 View Post
I think it does boil down to side effects vs. benefits. I took Effexor for a short while a couple of years back. I had to switch to something else because it made me too sleepy to function.
I get sleepy too but Effexor is definitively a stimulant and not a sedative (as citalopram is), strange...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauren View Post
Definitely not a last resort. Most people don't have side effects, and of the ones that do most are mild and go away within a few weeks. For me it was night sweats and sexual dysfunciton. The sweats went away in 2 weeks, the other took some months. My pdoc said nausea was the most common.

Keep in mind that with ALL antidepressants, a "high" incidence of side-effects is 10%. It seems higher if you're reading people's personal stories because no one goes on line to write about how they didn't have side-effects.
Sex side effect got to me too after the dosage was upped to 300mg (currently at 450mg and counting...) but subsided about three weeks or so, not sure if my sexual response is as it's supposed to be, but it's there, quite a lot of libido, pleasure wise I am not really sure. Do told me that was really good cause it shows nature overcame efexor, which is not an easy fit.

Last edited by Chris22; Oct 07, 2015 at 09:30 PM..
Chris22 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote