Thread: Age difference
View Single Post

Default Aug 04, 2007 at 12:38 AM

hey. yeah, i guess i'm a bit ambivalent about the age difference. i guess i typically am attracted to people a fair bit older (i mean around 10 years or something like that). differences... hmm... not so many differences. both like to drink. both like to go out drinking (sometimes) to three am lol. differences in clothing tastes, i guess. guys typically get a bit groomed by their girlfriends anyway lol so that isn't really such a big deal to me. could have a similar issue with the dress tastes of someone my age lol.

maybe part of it is about maturity. gentleness. stuff like that. i dunno. maybe that is to do with the person more than the age.

i know there has been some evolutionary psychology stuff done on why women tend to go for older guys. i guess that work is based on the presupposition that women do tend to go for older guys.

i was a bit worried about how some of the people here would respond. we are being a bit discrete. mostly 'cause of my desire for it to be, i guess. people seem kinda okay about it though. grad students (my age) seem a little more freaked than the proffs (who are saying that so long as the person isn't your supervisor / on your panel / grading your work) then it really doesn't matter. maybe... helps them feel a little younger / more in touch or something. i dunno. seems to be okay. i dunno. first person i have been involved with in the last couple years (since i arrived) and he hasn't been involved with anyone in the last couple years either (and they know that) so they seem to be being discrete and sensitive and stuff. not like they typically are with other people, so i dunno. people basically trying to say that they are okay about it, i guess. though i guess a couple of my grad student friends are a little ambivalent about it. keep talking about how people that age could be their father and they are like 'what is your mothers name again - oh yeah, we remember her'. lol. all good i guess.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote