CopperStar
Poohbah

Member Since Apr 2014
155 hugs
given
Default Oct 18, 2015 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supanova View Post
This is the kind of thing I mean. Bipolar label is given to everyone with bpd so they can get meds for something that is better dealt with in therapy.

Symtoms are different and treatment is different, but lazy doctors and people go for the meds as a quick fix. And they wonder why there is such a problem with medications.

I know in my city, they will recommend dbt first now and will not admit bpd to hospital, where as bipolar is treated differently and more seriously as it is seen as a serious illness, bpd is no more than a patient who has not got the basic skills to cope with everyday issues and is continually triggered into mood states.

I hear it a lot that bipolar is at fault. Perhaps so patients feel less guilt from their behaviour?
I know you probably don't mean to, but you're stigmatizing and downplaying the **** out of BPD. Like seriously "bpd is no more than a patient who has not got the basic skills to cope with everyday issues" is extremely ignorant. Maybe consider standing as allies instead of treating one another like lepers. I understand why someone might be upset to see BP associated with BPD behaviors, because BPD is heavily stigmatized and receives very little empathy, usually perceived as just melodramatic and manipulative. I can understand why someone would be afraid of having that same judgemental, ignorant attitude lobbed at them, the way it is lobbed at people with BPD. But taking on an attitude like, "Ugh we're not like them, they just don't take responsibility" will ultimately backfire on everyone with an atypical, dysfunctional brain organ, in the long run.
CopperStar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Edgar's Mom

Thanks for this!
badjuju89, Blue_Bird, convalescence, CycloMary, lunaticfringe, Mrs. Mania, Trippin2.0