Fizzyo
Grand Magnate

Member Since Jan 2015
3,980 hugs
given
Default Oct 31, 2015 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossovers View Post
I have had prolonged episodes of depression since age 19. (I'm now 74.) The principal symptom I experience never appears on any of the standard lists of symptoms. I describe this symptom to my psychiatrist and therapist as a continuous feeling of being drugged, sedated, foggy. I experience the world through a sort of haze, as if I were partially anesthetized. This is not the "brain fog" usually described as affecting memory, thinking ability, or concentration. I can function quite normally but have constantly to "push through" this haze. It takes all the fun freedom out of life. My doctors assure me that this is the way I experience depression. (My scans and MRIs check out fine.) I'm interested to know of other who experience a similar symptom.
I'm sure I have experienced something similar, maybe it's not so unusual, just that different people describe it differently?
I recognise your description, I often describe feeling as if I'm living behind a sheet of glass and that the world is grey with no colour. Every thing feels like I'm reaching across a distance to interact with the world, when I still can, I agree, it does take the light and fun out of life.
I have also experienced the brain fog when more severely low and agree with the difference you describe.

I wish you every strength to find the sun on the other side of the haze, even if for short periods, I hope they become frequent.
Fizzyo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote