SkyscraperMeow
Veteran Member

Member Since Dec 2014
13 hugs
given
Default Nov 11, 2015 at 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post
People progress at their own speed and rarely does "shoulding" someone, in my experience, change that speed. It is often easy to see what someone else might do differently from the outside but it is never so easy from the inside. I think people who post here are very often doing the best they can at the moment. I wouldn't choose to do almost any of the stuff others choose to do around therapists, but I don't think it would benefit me to judge or condemn them for their different choices. I don't think I have to like everyone who posts here or agree with their choices, (and I don't like some posters just as some posters don't like me or understand my choices), but their way, even if it appears a rocky path to me, is theirs.
What's the point of posting at all if you don't want feedback as to how to make your situation better? You can reject the feedback if you think it's not useful, because you're a competent adult capable of making those decisions.

The one thing I find most frustrating about this board is that I feel it seriously encourages people to make heinous decisions, wallow in emotional states which are often destructive, and generally indulge in the worst kind of passive submission to impulses which their better judgement would tell them to move past - if therapy weren't geared toward convincing people that every infantile impulse is to be nurtured and explored for sometimes years at a time.

I have no doubt that people are doing the best that they can. Not many people do the worst that they can, but simply patting everyone on the back and saying 'there there' no matter what they're indulging seems to me to be almost hateful.

It's like encouraging self-destruction - and you get brownie points for it, because that's 'supportive'. If someone comes on this board and says they're not taking care of themselves properly and instead spend their weekends fantasizing about a therapist, then the only allowed response is 'oh yeah, that's understandable'.

For some bizzare reason, saying that they should do something with their lives instead of fixate, is just unthinkable. Saying that those sorts of thought patterns can be dismissed and not entertained or indulged, is apparently so far out of the realm that it's almost offensive.

This truly is one of the strangest places I've ever been on the internet, because so much of the support is really just crabs in a bucket mentality, where everyone agrees that life is super hard, and therapists are super interesting and don't we all just go gaga every time they go on holiday.

Is it really so bizarre to say hey, if you spend your weekends doing nothing and thinking about how cool your therapist's life is, then maybe you should, I don't know, get a life?

Apparently. Because on PC, the only acceptable thing to say is yes, spend your weekends going over the same old tired emotional ground you've been over a thousand times before, really grind those thoughts into your brain and do nothing to change anything, because that's what's cool here - passivity and helplessness in the face of one's own responsibility for existence. And then go and pay a hundred bucks to tell your therapist that you are envious of her life - a hundred bucks you could have used to actually do something interesting or nice for yourself.

Am I really the only one who feels this way? Honestly, I think about 90% of people on this board would be better off without therapy - it's taken a benign exploration of feelings and turned it into obsessive feeling watching to the point people are paralyzed from being able to do anything without reference to their therapist.

I feel like this board sets people up to fail over and over again, by lying to them and telling them every single feeling is okay, and no action is ever required, and if you just talk your feelings out long enough, you'll somehow be fixed. The real truth is, you'll be potentially tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket and years lost mooning over a therapist when you could have been actually living life.

/rant
SkyscraperMeow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
BoulderOnMyShoulder, divine1966, eeyorestail, pbutton, sjkero