SkyscraperMeow
Veteran Member

Member Since Dec 2014
13 hugs
given
Default Nov 16, 2015 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echos Myron View Post
I've found with my own therapist that the more heavy the content of the email, the less likely he is to respond at all. It sounds like yours might be the same way.
I think the processing you've been doing is really perceptive and will be good material for the next session. I think the temptation to act out isn't unusual (I've felt that way myself)
Hopefully the next session will be a productive one and maybe even unlock new lines of communication and understanding between you both.
In the meantime I hope you are feeling better in yourself.
Yeah if he didn't respond at all, that'd be the end of it for me. One thing to have a session go badly, another thing to not be in touch after, a whole other bucket of churning fish to not even acknowledge me. If he did that, it would be out of character. I couldn't see a therapist who doesn't do between session contact. I find that demeaning and infantalizing. (No, you sit and wait until it's your turn for attention again.) I hate the power imbalance of therapy to begin with. To be essentially put on the naughty step when I'm upset and just ignored? Yeah, no. Not going to fly.

I don't appreciate being put in situations like this because they're so inorganic. Where else in life does someone get under your skin this much and yet also have such huge boundaries around contact? Never, really. Most people you can at least have it out with until you're done having it out, and even if you never speak again, at least you said your piece.

Therapy is like conversationus interruptus. You just get truncated and tossed out at the end of the hour, no matter where you were. I get that there are practical reasons for that, but it still leaves the client in a half-baked state which feels really unfair to me. To be honest, incidents like this undermine my trust and faith in him, which is tenuous anyways because that's what I bring to the table.

It especially bugs me that he sits there acting like he has no power at all, and yet he has ALL of it. He determines when we speak and for how long. He determines the very bones of therapy, and then has the gall to act like what goes on in there has nothing to do with him.

If we were doing things my way, therapy would look very different. But no, we do things his way. All the time. And I hate it. Hate it so very, very much.

But yes, I am feeling better, thank you

Hugs from:
AnaWhitney, rainbow8

Thanks for this!
AnaWhitney, BudFox