View Single Post
alieninshadows

Member Since Oct 2015
6 hugs
given
Default Nov 25, 2015 at 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezyks View Post
Thanks for sharing your insight, alieninshadows... I recall reading somewhere that some research suggests teens are influenced more by their peers than by their parents. I've also read there is research suggesting that bullying by one's peers has a more lasting negative impact than abuse by adults. If true, then I would guess that perhaps the message is it can be difficult for parents to successfully override what their teens are learning from their peers. Just some random thoughts...
Research always has flaws. I've been bullied by both adults and peers all throughout school and both have affected me. My mom never really wanted to hear of it. Teens definitely develop strong relationships with friends. To a point. In the early years, and mid childhood, parents have the biggest influences on their kids. You have to consider other factors. Teens are in the most confusing time of their lives. They don't know what's good for them, but they think they do. They are stubborn, yes, and want to pull away with more independence. However, just because a teen scoffs, rolls their eyes, or doesn't seem to care what parents have to say, doesn't mean they are not listening. In fact, they take a lot with them from what they have learned from their parents. Especially if it's valuable advice. I don't need to rely on a study because I remember when I was my daughter's age and I've learned more from adults than peers. And some people my age notice the same thing.
alieninshadows is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote