View Single Post
yagr
Poohbah

Member Since Nov 2015
1,121 hugs
given
Default Dec 15, 2015 at 08:18 PM

I started a thread last month about a recent diagnosis I received (in the specific forum) and asked for thoughts - I haven't gotten a response yet. So I'm going to modify my question some and start a new thread here. I have a few specific questions, but some background first...

My therapist informed me on our last visit that he and my psychiatrist have concluded that I have schizotypal personality disorder. He handed me a printout explaining what it is and asked that we discuss my thoughts on the matter next session - which is Thursday.

The diagnosis is, in my opinion, ludicrous. Be that as it may be, it's what they've come up with. But here's the thing:

It is my strong opinion that we talk in order to communicate. If after a year of talk therapy they've come up with this diagnosis, one of only a couple of things is going on. They are either right or they are wrong. If they are right and I just can't see it, then my thoughts on the matter are useless. If they are wrong, then a year of talking has been wasted because they clearly aren't hearing me. What has changed to make me think they'll start listening now?

Either way, what could possibly be gained by discussing this with them?

And yet, if I don't discuss it, it seems likely that they'll conclude I'm being hostile. So, why not just tell them what I told you? Well, because again, it seems that I'm not being listened to. Why not change therapists and doctors? Impractical and near impossible. I am so rural that I travel over one hundred miles to talk to my doctor via skype - there isn't many options here. Why am I going in the first place? Depression brought on by chronic pain, accompanying sleep deprivation, a terminal diagnosis and fighting disability for three years while trying to survive with no income. Why don't I quit altogether? My disability lawyer recommends it.

I go in Thursday. Any suggestions?
yagr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
baseline, BlueCrustacean