yagr
Poohbah

Member Since Nov 2015
1,121 hugs
given
Default Dec 16, 2015 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaluna View Post
My suggestion is to answer their questions. Is this an SSI examination or a dr helping you get SSI?
Initially, it was neither. I was referred to a psychiatrist for depressive symptoms by my primary care physician. The therapist was mandated as a condition for seeing the psychiatrist. The pdoc determined that the onset of depression was sleep deprivation due to chronic pain. He prescribed me something to help me sleep and the depression lifted.

My disability attorney advised me to continue to go in case they came up with something that would insure disability in the unlikely event that I was denied on physical issues only. An insurance policy, if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaluna View Post
They dont need your knowledge, they just want your answers to their questions. At this point i am more than a little confused by this diagnosis, but i am not there when you are answering questions. I know it was very hard for me to stay on topic during my interviews.
I understand your comment that you are not there when I am answering questions; I'd feel the same way. That said, you're getting pretty much the same 'me' that they are.

I know that I think differently. In fact, I've been asked more than once by those who have gotten to spend any real time with me, if I've been tested for Asperger's syndrome. It does not occur to them to ask during casual social interactions, but...for instance:

I live on a horse ranch. They give lessons here and board horses in addition to breeding and showing. In my time here, I've noted over one hundred clients. I can tell you two of their names but I can tell you right now, every single one of their license plate numbers. See...even trying to be candid, I withhold information in order to fit in socially. There have been one hundred thirteen distinct plates come on the property - not the vague "over one hundred". I don't know why I retain information like this, but I do.

So this whole 'socially competent but introverted to the nth degree' thing makes perfect sense to me. Me being me creates a social outcast. Me adopting a persona that fits in is disingenuous and as I rather like me, I'd rather be by myself and be me than in a crowd being Ferris Bueller. Hmm, that encapsulated it almost perfectly, well done me.
yagr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
unaluna