yagr
Poohbah

Member Since Nov 2015
1,121 hugs
given
Default Dec 16, 2015 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruh roh View Post
Oh, this makes so much sense. Thank you for explaining. It's really tricky if the reason you're in therapy is for the disability claim, and you've been assigned this psychiatrist and therapist to work with (military?).
Not exactly. My attorney simply wants me to continue to see them in the event that they can improve my chances. As you no doubt know, being qualified for disability and receiving it are often two different things. We are going for a slam dunk.

Quote:
I would definitely ask if your spiritual beliefs are being factored into the dx and if so, what might your dx look like if cultural factors were removed?
I shall; thank you for the suggestion.

Quote:
Example from a different angle: My therapist said I'd been short changed by being diagnosed when trauma symptoms were active--once those calmed down, a whole different picture emerged. You are similarly being affected by a diagnosis that's looking at the wrong thing.
Couldn't agree more.

Quote:
I wish you could see someone more open minded. I've shared spiritual beliefs with my therapist that she said others would have diagnosed as psychotic, but she understood the origin. She's protective in a way, guiding me on what words to use if I do have to interact with other mh professionals so that they don't go down the wrong path.

Misdiagnosis is a real thing. I guess you have to decide if you can live with it as a means to another end and still retain your sense of true self.
*nods*, *nods*, and more *nods*.

I have a question for you, if you don't mind. Based on the picture of these two that I've painted, what would you say to the following idea that I dreamed up this afternoon:

As I've said, I do process information differently. For instance, I can't remember a face but can't forget a number. I am considering asking my therapist tomorrow if he or my pdoc speaks a foreign language. I'm polylingual; I can, and have, assimilated languages in weeks. If he does speak another language, schedule my next appointment for three weeks and have it in his second language. If he doesn't and my pdoc is bilingual, well, I have three and a half weeks before that appointment so I'll just keep the same appointment.

Telling them that I think differently is not working. What about showing them? Of course, if neither speak a second language, I've probably dug myself a deeper whole with the whole 'magical thinking' bit. Thoughts?
yagr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote