Run of the Mill Snowflake

Member Since May 2015
5,077 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 16, 2015 at 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagr View Post
I have a question for you, if you don't mind. Based on the picture of these two that I've painted, what would you say to the following idea that I dreamed up this afternoon:

As I've said, I do process information differently. For instance, I can't remember a face but can't forget a number. I am considering asking my therapist tomorrow if he or my pdoc speaks a foreign language. I'm polylingual; I can, and have, assimilated languages in weeks. If he does speak another language, schedule my next appointment for three weeks and have it in his second language. If he doesn't and my pdoc is bilingual, well, I have three and a half weeks before that appointment so I'll just keep the same appointment.

Telling them that I think differently is not working. What about showing them? Of course, if neither speak a second language, I've probably dug myself a deeper whole with the whole 'magical thinking' bit. Thoughts?
Oh, how I wish you could see my therapist. She genuinely values people who think differently (and I'm not talking about having different views on issues).

I love your idea about the languages. What I can't tell from here is how they think, and how flexible their minds are or how open they would be to being shown what you mean. If they're entrenched in a particular view of the mind, then that's a problem. I might float it as an analogy, and if there were traction and one of them seemed intrigued, suggest such a session or even a portion of a session to experience it.

So much of it depends on their own views of the mind. Pushing too hard is risky (but you don't come across that way). I would probably approach with curiosity, looking for clarity on both sides, hoping they would reciprocate.
ruh roh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
yagr

Thanks for this!
yagr