View Single Post
SoScorpio

Member Since Oct 2015
13 hugs
given
Default Dec 21, 2015 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand. View Post
Now, I can't tell you what you are or are not. Having a fairly deep concern about how others perceive you is not typical for someone with SPD. The reason Schizoids are loners isn't usually anxiety driven (concerned others think they are weird is an anxiety) but because it's so points for them. There's no pleasure or even desire for other people. There may be occasionally one person they may have a sort of fondness for as a SO, or maybe a family member. But for the most part, they just plain and simple don't want or see the point of being social. The point is, the desire for social interactions is not there or is very limited and is not due to anxiety, low self esteem, depression, etc. They like being alone.

The other symptoms are things like anhedonia or a loss of pleasure, avolition or a loss of motivation, flat affect or little if any facial expressiveness. Praise or criticism is responded to with indifference as well.

These are all things that would be present most of the time to a notable degree.

Would any of these be relateable to you?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Hmm. Yes and no again, I guess. As for being concerned what people think of me, I'm still trying to figure out my motivation there. I used to just think it was normal. Then I thought it was low self-esteem. Now I think it could be anxiety, some kind of avoidance thing. I just don't know.

But reading about classic SPD, you're probably right, it just doesn't sound like me. I don't know how to respond to praise, but I'm definitely not indifferent to criticism. And I wear my emotions on my sleeve, and my face. I don't think anyone would say I don't have facial expressiveness.

This "secret" schizoid profile though, sounds closer. I'm just not sure I understand my motivations for socializing. I do like being alone, to an extent. I don't like big parties, I'd rather stay home and watch a movie than go out and have to meet people. But if I'm alone for too long, I get pent up. I need someone to talk to. What I'm starting to question is why. Do I really have a normal need for socialization, or do I only want people around when I want something of them? I hate having conversations with strangers, usually. On the other hand, at my apartments there is an old man who sits outside on a folding chair in good weather and just talks to anyone who happens by. Sometimes people stop and talk to him for hours. I've considered talking to him too, out of pure curiosity and a desire to talk to someone who's different from me, and will have different stories and different views.
I guess you could say one of the main reasons I socialize is to figure people out. I want to know what makes someone tick. Some people actually consider me a bit nosy, I often have to disguise my attempts to figure someone out.
But again... does that mean I have a genuine interest in people, or just in puzzles?

....I think I'm Gregory House. Never could figure out if he really had a heart or not either.
SoScorpio is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote