View Single Post
tiger8

Member Since Jul 2015
7 hugs
given
Default Dec 23, 2015 at 09:13 PM

I noticed this on wikipedia reading about SPD:

"Guntrip observed that the preceding characteristics result in loneliness: "Loneliness is an inescapable result of schizoid introversion and abolition of external relationships. It reveals itself in the intense longing for friendship and love which repeatedly break through. Loneliness in the midst of a crowd is the experience of the schizoid cut off from affective rapport." This is a central experience of the schizoid that is often lost to the observer. Contrary to the familiar caricature of the schizoid as uncaring and cold, the vast majority of schizoid persons who become patients express at some point in their treatment their longing for friendship and love. This is not the schizoid patient as described in the DSMs. Such longing, however, may not break through except in the schizoid’s fantasy life, to which the therapist may not be allowed access for quite a long period in treatment.

There is a very narrow range of classic DSM-defined schizoids for whom the hope of establishing relationships is so minimal as to be almost extinct. The longing for closeness and attachment is almost unidentifiable to such a person. These individuals will not voluntarily become patients, as the schizoid individual who becomes a patient does so often because of the twin motivations of loneliness and longing. This type of patient believes that some kind of connection and attachment is possible and is well suited to psychotherapy. The psychotherapist, however, may approach the schizoid patient with a sense of therapeutic pessimism, if not nihilism, and may misread the patient by believing that the patient’s wariness is indifference and that caution is coldness."

So. What are your experiences with this?

For me it was a gradual (few-month long) process that left me as a schizoid at age 18. Then a decade later, a sudden mental event as a response to an external signal turned everything upside-down. That's when the status quo of the schizoid life ended. I suspect there was always a hidden vulnerable spot that when hit upon like this would come out. By stumbling upon it by accident, I was rather ...unlucky or lucky?

So. I wonder if such a spot exists for most schizoids. I want to hear from others, whether anyone else experienced or noticed in some other way such a thing.
tiger8 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote