View Single Post
Soy bien

Member Since Dec 2013
43 hugs
given
Default Dec 27, 2015 at 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperStar View Post
In my experience, growing up with NPD parents definitely affected me in various ways.

I actually inherited many of their dysfunctions, but without a malignant, predatory edge to it. But even if I don't go looking for people to victimize, close relations can bring out some serious dysfunction in me, and it's a bit sickening and horrifying on occasion to realize I've been channeling one of my parents subconsciously.

I think probably the biggest conditioned issue was in desperately trying to "manipulate the manipulators" as a child, which caused me to develop my own style of manipulation in relations as an adult.

Both of my parents played constant mind games, and I spent all of my childhood and adolescence trying to figure out what made them tick, what they wanted, how to get positive (or at least not terrible) reactions from them, how to try to hold together some semblance of a peaceful and normal family atmosphere. I never learned how to "just be" or what genuine relations are like.

So as an adult, my default settings when interacting with others is to "perform" instead of "be". I also analyze people heavily and am hypervigilant about concealed, malignant motives in others. Common tactics I use are playing dumb, performing tests and setting traps, experimenting with how people respond to various things, etc.

In others words I share some things in common with my NPD parents.
1. Rarely Genuine
2. Manipulative
3. Performing For Acceptance
4. Resenting Others For Feeling Like I "Have" To Perform
5. Very Pessimistic Outlook On Humanity
6. Prioritize Protecting Myself Over Intimacy
7. Victim / Martyr Complex

That sort of stuff is what I tend to focus on the most. Because I'm not ashamed of having anxiety or depression problems, but traits like manipulative or having a victim complex do bother me. And as if I don't already have enough of the same dysfunctions as my NPD parents, shame bothers me more than anything else LOL.
I am also hyper vigilent when considering people's motives. I often consider how they'll stab me in the back. I also feel like a victim a lot.

Hugs from:
CopperStar

Thanks for this!
CopperStar