View Single Post
jaymoq

Member Since Jun 2015
5 hugs
given
Default Jan 07, 2016 at 01:54 PM

I'm very glad to hear that he has decided to go in to therapy! That was going to be my suggestion. One thing I will say is that its never healthy to identify or label ourselves by our mental health diagnoses. Yes, I have XYZ but that doesn't define who I am or mean I will act like all the literature says. It comes down to your partner not respecting who you are. Do I sometimes explain my panic attacks or emotional responses via my diagnosis? Yes. But, I don't ever use it to excuse or justify behaviors. I am not saying that is going on here, but I just wanted to remind you that you are unique and should be respected because of who you are, not what diagnoses you've received.

Best of luck! Having dated and been in relationships with men that did or did not have diagnoses, I can't say one is better than the other. I am currently engaged to a man that does not have a formal diagnosis and is incredibly limited on his knowledge of mental health. However, he has agreed to counseling with me and has learned to adjust and adapt to the relationship to support me in some aspects of my MI, such as being aware of large crowds, not raising his voice, and being supportive instead of dramatic if I ever get in a super depressed mood.

I wish you luck. You should feel respected and loved, but don't forget that your partner also needs to feel these things. Oftentimes I am so absorbed in my own troubles I can forget that I need to be that support system for my partner. Even if he doesn't have a diagnosis, he still has bad days and can be upset about something. However, unhealthy responses to stress are definitely cause for further inspection!