View Single Post
coyotee

Member Since Jan 2015
19 hugs
given
Default Jan 09, 2016 at 02:55 PM

I have a 4 year old and even at some parks a lot of parents seem to want to shield their kids from other kids. Like as soon as they start playing its time to go home. I understand in many instances maybe according to schedule its necessary to go home but I don't think that's often whats happening. It really seems like a lot of parents are deliberately trying to keep their kids isolated from other kids. They don't want other kids to influence their kids.

Now I personally have a lot of social anxiety issues, so actually arranging play dates and making small talk has been really hard for me. I've felt a little selfish not being more outgoing and trying to arrange more, but luckily we visit grandmas often and over there the neighborhood kids all get together. My mom is far more outgoing than I am and it wasn't a big deal for her to do introductions and to arrange it all. Since she was able to settle all that, and now that I've already talked to their parents time and time again, it's easier now for me to communicate with them despite my social issues.

^That would be my suggestion also for anyone who suffers social anxiety issues. If you don't feel up to it, if it terrifies you a bit like it did for me, perhaps someone you're close with, like a family member or friend, can help arrange or otherwise come along with you for a play date. Friends for little ones are so important. You need to find a way.