View Single Post
specialneedsmom

Member Since Aug 2015
1 hugs
given
Default Jan 10, 2016 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotee View Post
I have a 4 year old and even at some parks a lot of parents seem to want to shield their kids from other kids. Like as soon as they start playing its time to go home. I understand in many instances maybe according to schedule its necessary to go home but I don't think that's often whats happening. It really seems like a lot of parents are deliberately trying to keep their kids isolated from other kids. They don't want other kids to influence their kids.
I think over the past decade, this has been a trend. When I was a kid, parents didn't try to prevent their kids from playing with other kids.
Also, I've noticed many parents will even go as far as keeping their children out of extra curricular activities. My daughter's girl scout troop only had 9 girls and that was drawing from 5 different elementary schools! I was in a state of disbelief over this. When I was a kid, at least half the girls in my class were in scouts. I've enrolled her in other activities and it seems there is always a poor turnout. (I don't think its the parents lacking money for these things because we live in an area that is more affluent, although we are not rich).

I think parents need to understand at some point, they cannot keep their child shielded forever from other children. And attempting to do so can harm their social skills.

I don't really have social anxiety that often, I have gone out on a limb to meet other mothers and ask about getting together some time, and nine times out of ten they are not interested. What annoys me the most is they won't return phone calls, texts or emails; or they will initially agree to something, and then at the last minute make up a weird story about why they can't come. And then I won't hear from them anymore. Sometimes, their own child will come up to me after school and begs me "can your daughter come to my house?" and I have to sadly say no, because I know the mom has refused.
specialneedsmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote