View Single Post
vonmoxie
deus ex machina

Member Since Jul 2014
399 hugs
given
Default Jan 15, 2016 at 07:04 PM

We have so much in common! I get cluster headaches too though not as continuously as you; it's sort of seasonally triggered for me and can last for up to around 9 months, but I do get breaks. Topiramate was the only thing that ever helped me, but strangely when I was taking anti-depressants at the same time it stopped working for me, and now it doesn't even work for me on its own. Which leaves me a bit stranded. Other prophylactic drugs I've tried either don't work (most everything), or have given me permanent injury via their side effects (depakote! grr.).

I actually get what seems like almost every kind of headache there is, and some trigger the others.. I get tension headaches because of some botched spinal surgery I'll forever be suffering the after effects of, and migraine with aura since I was a kid. Clusters started in about my mid 30s.

It's probably no coincidence that it's only now I've been cluster free for 6 months or so that my last major depressive episode finally had a chance to break. I don't think people that haven't had experience with persistent severe pain can entirely imagine just how much it can impact one's mental and spiritual powers. It really does stack the deck, I feel for you.

Is the topiramate still working well for you?

P.S., Your white hot railroad spike in the eye description is indeed apt.. very similar to how I describe mine to my friends, right before they wince. I always feel badly afterwards, but I'm just trying to be accurate..

“We use our minds not to discover facts but to hide them. One of things the screen hides most effectively is the body, our own body, by which I mean, the ins and outs of it, its interiors. Like a veil thrown over the skin to secure its modesty, the screen partially removes from the mind the inner states of the body, those that constitute the flow of life as it wanders in the journey of each day.
Antonio R. Damasio, “The Feeling of What Happens: Body and Emotion in the Making of Consciousness” (p.28)
vonmoxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
EnglishDave

Thanks for this!
EnglishDave, MO715