Walking Man

Member Since Mar 2015
34 hugs
given
Default Jan 18, 2016 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonautomobile View Post
**** T if he judges me. I'm FABULOUS.

Haha. But seriously, I think my T's intentions are genuine even when particular comments fail the 'genuine' test so miserably they actually become funny. I remember having the following conversation after apologizing for calling in the midst of a panic attack:

Me: "So, sorry again about that."
T: "If it makes you feel any better, people call me all the time."
Me: "Really? That sounds dreadful."
T: "Oh, you know, It's not a big deal. I...care."

I don't know what it was, he just seemed to lose such conviction in between the "I" and the "care" it was like a balloon deflating. If I were to novelize it, his character would be "Overworked Social worker" and the sentence would be " 'I...care,' he finished lamely."

It was actually oddly comforting to realize he could be such a terrible liar, and somehow the whole thing was incredibly funny. Which, ironically, showed that therapy was working: I never would have been able to laugh if my self-worth had been all wrapped up in this other person's caring and what he supposedly secretly thought of me.

What other people 'secretly think' of you is so completely inaccessible there's something self-obsessed about even worrying about it. How can you assume people 'secretly think' anything at all about you, let alone something positive/negative?

I mean, why would the disheartening thought between the "I" and the "care" have to be about me at all? Why assume it was something like, "Gosh, Argo's such a whiner," when it just as easily (more likely?) could have been, "I'm tired and this chair hurts my ***."

Anyway, just my two cents.
I think that's ok. You don't know what your T was thinking, but they're only human. It sounds like, no matter how they really felt at that moment, they were there for you. Being there for you shows they did care. In some way you connected personally.

I don't ask my T if she cares or anything like that. I know she cares enough to see me, virtually for free. I know she wants to help. If she wants to tell me she cares she will. I desperately want someone to care, but it is what it is. Some things I wouldn't ask because I wouldn't, other things I don't ask because I want to hear them and I want it to be real. I may never hear them, but I can't put her on the spot. (If it were my GF, wife, or best buddy I might ask.)
Walking Man is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote