View Single Post
Anonymous 37943

Default Jan 26, 2016 at 06:25 AM

As someone who's had his own future compromised by parents that felt that leeching on me financially & emotionally was ok because "hey, we're your parents, right?", I have one word of advice (in bold capitals) for you: RUN!

You seem to finally have everything going for you. I don't know your age but I'm assuming you're young in your early 20's, so now is the time to be brave and bold, and take that leap of faith.

Don't worry about being a contractor on THIS job. Worry about your NEXT job. As a contractor, you should be always aiming for your NEXT job and switch as soon as a better opportunity arises, because your current is most likely secured for a while, unless something goes south.

Forget spending on superfluous and moneypits (or limit it to the absolute minimal) such as PC and laptop. If you are going to live on your own, you're gonna have more immediate expenses. You're gonna need to keep yoursef presentable (wardrobe) and healthy, as well as paying your bills.

When you build a house, you start by the foundation, not the finishing and fittings...

And always save money. No matter how little every week, put it on a savings account, and don't touch it unless it's really an emergency ("going on holidays", for example, is not an emergency).

In short: work on your financial independence now, while you're young and the tides are favourable.

This is the advice I'd give myself if I could go back 30 years in time.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Sevensong, Travelinglady, Xzahn