View Single Post
Bill3
Legendary

Member Since Mar 2009
24.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 06, 2016 at 10:11 AM

You cannot set standards for other people.

Here's the thing: let's say you help someone carry a 50 pound bag up their hill. That's great! But that does not mean that they must or will help you carry your 50 pound bag up your hill. They might not feel able or willing to do that, and the fact that you did it for them does not compel them to do it for you.

Your friends are the way that they are. You do have the option to look for different friends--or just accept that there are limits to what they can do, or are willing to do, for you.

You can say "I feel hurt that I helped carry your bag but you are not willing to help carry mine." Friends might change in response to that, or they might not. Probably not.

Honestly, it is asking a lot of friends to expect them to hear in detail about suicidal ideation. I believe that most people feel ill-equipped to help in that situation. They don't know what to do or say. This is why they shy away.

With regard to your supervisor, a comment like that would make me feel that I had done something wrong as well. Sometimes we feel hurt because, well, what people said to us was unreasonable and hurtful!
Bill3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
pbutton, Trippin2.0