Legendary

Member Since Dec 2014
1,879 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 09, 2016 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaBuv View Post
I agree with everyone about not taking the toys away. If it were my son, I would listen to the stuffed animal about wanting hot dogs, for example. Then I would say to my son "I know you are telling me through the toy that it really is you who wants the hot dogs, and that's OK". Also, because he's nine, I would tell him that he shouldn't talk through the toys and take them with him everywhere in public because people will think he's being strange. People don't do that, they can't go to school. I'd say the school doesn't allow it. And I'd keep trying to emphasize that it is ok for him to speak for himself. But I'd let him have the toys at home as much as he wants and not take them away at all.
I told my kids that they shouldn't take their baby blankets all over with them because what if it got lost. And they really liked that reason, because you even said if he lost them it would be WWIII. He is 9 years old. Also, you could suggest he can try to be a ventriloquist with them. Show him video of famous ventriloquist. Maybe this can be a creative outlet.

And that therapist who said take them away from him should be shot. What a meanie!

Thanks for this!
healingme4me