View Single Post
majella

Member Since Jul 2005
Default Sep 03, 2007 at 06:22 PM

Confused .... first of all, I'd like to say I am sorry that you had such a weird session with your t. I know there are some days when I go into therapy, I really need my t to be there with me 100%, and it sounds as if your t had his mind elsewhere during that session.

But like others have said before me, this is not necessarily your fault. Your t admitted afterwards that he was overworked, and whether we like it or not, our ts are regular human beings who have their off days. Hopefully most ts can be on their game more times than not - if not, then its time to get a new t - but when my own t has been acting weird with me, we've talked about it, and she has taken responsibility for it if it really was something to do with her, or we've discussed what could be triggering me if she thinks that the 'weird' feeling about the session was more about something inside my own head.

Maybe all those questions your t was asking you was just his way of trying to do his best for you in your session, but because he was really tired and overworked, all those questions came out the wrong way and like he was attacking you, rather than his genuine attempt to understand you better. I've noticed that my own t tends to resort to asking me some unusual questions about the same sorts of topics whenever she seems very tired and not mentally 'with me' - thankfully that has only happened three times in almost 4 years, but it was extremely hurtful every time it happened.

But the thing is - if you've got a good relationship with your t, you two CAN work through this. Good on you for emailing your t straight away and addressing this issue and telling him how it made you feel, and hopefully when you see your t next, you can talk about it some more and he can take responsibility for his contribution to that session.

I have confidence that you can work this out with your t. Good luck with it
majella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote