View Single Post
Merecat

Member Since Apr 2015
2 hugs
given
Default Apr 08, 2016 at 10:17 AM

I think part of the problem is T's who say they love their clients, will never leave them, care deeply for them, will always be there etc etc. No one can possibly make those kind of commitments to people who are part of their working lives. Eg my T may care very much for me, In fact I believe she does, but we both know the relationship could end at our next session if something changes for me, or her life changes (eg significant health problems, bereavement, death, employment) I won't still be part of her life nor will she be part of mine. I know she would always try to end sensitively and responsibly but I also know that may not be within her control. We've both been clear about that from the start and 2.5 years later, im still clear about it.

Yes T's have a professional duty to do no harm, of course they do, and working with vulnerable people means they need to take greater care. There are T's where I've read accounts of what has happened and thought "wtf", there are equally times where I think people seem to demand more from their T than they would from any other relationship, particularly any other professional relationship. I'm not sure how a T negotiates those kinds of needs without someone getting hurt tbh.
Merecat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
brillskep, Out There, Schizoid_1, unaluna