View Single Post
Anonymous35014

Lightbulb Apr 08, 2016 at 05:26 PM

I'm in a very pensive mood. I'm going to post some more insightful threads in hopes they will generate some great comments.

-----

Does it bother you to see so many people uneducated about bipolar disorder? What about mental illness in general? Share your experiences!

I think bipolar disorder is one of the most misunderstood mental illnesses. An overwhelming amount of people genuinely believe that bipolar disorder is characterized by rapid, unpredictable mood swings that occur every few minutes. While it is certainly possible to have ultra ultra rapid cycling like that, 99% of people with bipolar disorder aren't ultra ultra rapid cyclers. That is a very rare case.

I just don't understand why our schools fail to educate us on mental illnesses? We have biology class and we learn about cancer, AIDS, and even uncommon conditions like Guillain-Barré syndrome, but we never learn about mental illness... at all. It's a subject matter that is totally excluded from school curriculums unless you choose to take a psychology class... and even then, not all schools offer classes on psychology! Usually psychology is only offered at the university level.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
pirilin

Thanks for this!
gina_re