View Single Post
Anonymous50025

Default Jun 03, 2016 at 01:18 PM

Procrastination is a HUGE problem for me. I told my caregiver, beginning in February, that we were going to have to make plan for 'spring-cleaning' and the only thing that we've done has been to give away some big-box items.

No movement on the knick-knacks, though.

In one way, I'm delighted that my caregiver will goad me on to get some things done. But there are some things - small things that would take no more than 15 minutes - that I can't get motivated to begin. And when my caregiver isn't here, I'll get a burst of energy, begin a task and quickly realise that I just can't accomplish the the task in my wheelchair and give up, in anger. Too many failures like this and I become the failure.

I become, again, that which I have always been: the child of nothing. Worthless and empty. The child/god of grand ideals and constant failures. I can't understand how anyone would want to be in a relationship with someone like me.

ptangptang said it well:
Quote:
"Self motivation is hard for me. If you have no job, no partner, no family no friends there isn't a lot there to motivate you."
I guess that I would add "no self-esteem," etc., with a dozen of "a no other a couple of other things" tossed in, and you've the summation of my life as it has been for 20 years or so.

My doc got my lab work this morning. Everything was wonderful except my blood glucose. I have to get that under control but I've been saying that for years. But I don't want to go back to a nursing home where they can check it four times daily. I know that this is something that I can't put off because I know the consequences.

Okay, so that's my answer. In order to stop procrastinating I have to be faced with something worse than death. What's worse than death? Not quite the life that I'm dealing with now. Losing my fingers, hands or arms, maybe.

Just to get back to what ptangptang said. Were friends and family parachuting from the heavens, we might care about how our sense of being house proud had escaped us. We would probably be in such a state of baby-bawling that it would be the last thing to cross our mind, though. People; people that I once knew and loved, in my apartment?

But back to the OP– you said stop procrastinating to work or study. I've never really had a problem with that. Even though I can be really poor at a particular subject (maths) I look at maths as a challenge and I'm good at being angry enough to fight and win challenges. Very much the same with the work that I once did. I had a job where my success or failure could be quickly measured in monetary values at years end. I did not fail, I guess, because I did not like to fail.

So I didn't procrastinate when it came to work or study. But, now, earlier this week, I may have come across a a job, of sorts, that will require a minimal amount of investment but a great deal of study. It may be just what I need.

I don't find any challenge in dusting, I guess (I find more in decluttering, but that doesn't get my juices flowing), but I suppose that if I find something challenging then I'm less apt to find any of my 'it doesn't matter' attitude in it and find my curiousity bubbling over.

Yeah, that's what can (but doesn't necessarily) overcome my natural procrastination. An intriguing curiosity and an overwhelming challenge that is.

But as far as the other crap... I'll think about it over the next couple of weeks. Unless I don't.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote