View Single Post
scorpiosis37
Magnate

Member Since Apr 2010
22 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 18, 2016 at 01:51 AM

A slow cognitive processing speed is not necessarily correlated with low intelligence nor does it fully explain a lack of social skills. I was diagnosed with a slow processing speed but I also have a 141 IQ and a PhD. While I'm more on the introverted side, I don't have the struggles with communication that you describe. From your other threads, it seems that your problem has more to do with suppressed anger, misogyny, a feeling of "life is not fair!" and a lack of imitative to work on distorted thought patterns. Introversion and processing speed might contribute to these things, but they are not the primary source. Since I also hav the processing speed issue, I will say that there are moments when my processing speed does affect me (I hate doing Q&As after giving conference papers because it takes me an extra moment to formulate a good answer) but it doesn't affect me when it comes to social small talk. My introversion does make it harder for me to "jump in" when I'm in a large group or around new people, but not when I'm 1:1 or with people I know. I would say I'm good one on one, but only so-so in groups. if I'm with someone who is more introverted than I am, I usually kind of "fake" being an extrovert and drive the conversation. (In fact, I did that on a date tonight). I'm pretty sure no one would associate my introversion with being "boring." Personally, I'm most attracted to people who are in the middle. I don't like it when I'm with someone who needs to be the center of attention and makes new friends wherever we go. I would rather be with someone who focuses their attention on me. At the same time, I don't like being with someone who just sits there like a lump, because it means I have to do the work of entertaining them (like on my date tonight). I prefer to be with someone where there is a natural back and forth, where we can have interesting conversations, laugh, etc. I would say that most of my friends are slightly more on the introverted side, but pretty close to the middle. That is how I would describe myself, too. I think your distorted thought patterns (which have been discussed on the forums numerous times) are really more of an issue though than either introversion or processing speed.
scorpiosis37 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
A Red Panda, lizardlady, Trippin2.0